Home | Xenophobia: Part One | Xenophobia: Part Two | Xenophobia: Part Three | Fish Out Of Water | LiveJournal Blog

Introduction

Description (from contest): Once upon a time, there was a group attractive women who got by on their appearances, and a group intelligent men with limited social skills, who will live in a house together, learning from each others' weaknesses and strengths. By the end of their journey, these diverse men and women will have received lessons in confidence, equality, and dignity. No longer will they just the Beauty and the Geek....

Rating: Normal
Eliminations:
Yes
Result: Fifth

Extra notes: While competing in Engaged & Underage, this one took my fancy. After all the heavy entries I was hoping for some light relief, but I seem to turn everything serious at some point...

Wednesday 18 June 2008

Round One

Emilia Staropoli Meets Eddie Grant

Emilia: I couldn't believe it when my phone rang... right in the middle of class too! Whoops... I had to explain to the tutor I was expecting an important phone call, and sure enough the producer of this show phoned me, to say I'd got through! I squealed with delight, not caring how many people were looking at me, and couldn't wait to get back home and pack my things. I love getting out and meeting new people, so I was really looking forward to this. Only now as I ride off in the cab, I start to imagine this really nerdy guy with ugly glasses and a bad case of zits... *shudder*

Eddie: I'll be honest, I'm nervous as anything. It's not often I get to meet different people, and I don't know much about this Emilia at all... or this town, come to think. I notice a taxi pull up, and anxiously tug at my shirt as I give a little wave.

Peering out the window, I notice this blond guy outside the place we'll be staying, and can't help but stare in surprise. He's cute! His taste in clothes could be better, but they could also be a lot worse, and no glasses in sight! Did I get the longest straw or what?!
"Eddie?" I check curiously as the driver empties the boot of the cab.
"You're Emilia?" I reply hesitantly, staring in awe at her colouring, her eyes...
"I am," I grin, but frown at the way he's looking at me... is he checking me out?
"Wow, you're a real alien?" I remark, unable to contain myself, "That's incredible!"

"Half alien dear," I correct him, "Mum's very human."
"Interesting," I smile, beginning to calm down, "A little different from those girls on Star Wars..."
Oh boy. Star Wars fan? Damn, am I in trouble... Seems this guy needs some serious lessons...
"Look sweety, this isn't Star Wars, this is real life... believe it or not," I add with a frown, "Those girls in Star Wars have these weird... things coming out of their heads... ugh!"
Believe it or not? What an odd way to describe real life... I can't help but smile at the way she describes the aliens I'm talking about though. Yet as I feared, the flow of conversation slows and I dry up, racking my brains for something to say.
"So, what do you do?" I prompt him - he needs bringing out, I can tell that a mile off.
"Oh, I've started my third year at University," I smile in reply.
"Really? Doing what?"
"Philosophy," I reply, "It's very interesting!"
"Oh really?" I ask, scratching my head, "Okay..."
I smile knowingly to myself, before awkwardly scratching the back of my hand. "So... what about you?" I ask hesitantly, feeling my nerves take hold again.
"I'm a student too," I reply, "Just started out."
"Really? Doing what?" I ask, beginning to take a genuine interest.
My face falls like a stone. "Um..." I begin, feeling like such a dumba***.

"Oh, I see," I smile, "You're still undeclared?"
"Still what?" I ask puzzled.
"Undeclared," I repeat, "We all get put there at first, until we decide what we'll do."
"Oh," I reply. I don't know why, but I'm already starting to warm to this guy, even if he thinks alien girls have these green things coming out of their heads.

Before long we get interrupted by the arrival of a photographer.
"Hello you two!" he greets cheerfully, "Been getting to know each other before you settle in?"
"Yes thanks," I smile, polishing my nails on my top. I can't help but wonder what he has in mind with that camera...
"Right, let's get a picture of you both," he tells us as he readies his camera.
Ooh, piccies! Better make sure my hair looks alright first... that's better.
Oh brother... I hate having my picture taken!

"Right, first mini-task," the cameraman begins, before saying something about...
"Ooh, do I get a make-over?" I grin, my eyes sparking in eager anticipation.
"You certainly do," he finishes, and my mood drops once again as I notice the way Eddie's rubbing his hands together in glee...
Oh this will be fun! I know just the thing too...
"Hey, wait a minute..." I check with him, before Eddie pipes up.
"You say to dress her like me?" I ask, "I have a better idea..."
"Well, the idea is for you to dress her how you'd dress," he tells him, "The rest is up to you."
"Dress like him?!" I exclaim, "Are you kidding me?!"
"It's only for one photo," he says, "You'll be able to put your make-up on again afterwards."
"What?? No make-up?? You're having a laugh...!"
"Come on," I beckon, "It's only for one photo. All part of the challenge."
"Psssh..." I stomp off inside the building in a huff, where a little make-over studio has been set up. I can only slump into the chair as my necklace is taken off, my nail paint removed as well as my make-up, but then I feel a tug at my hair.
"Nooo, don't brush out my curls!" I plead, "That took me ages..."
"It's just for this picture," they keep telling me.
"My hair won't be the same though!" I whimper, before being shown the outfit Eddie's picked... oh, how did I guess?!
"I'm not wearing that!!" I splutter on seeing it.
"Oh yes you are," comes the response from a member of the team, "You can take it off afterwards."
"Oh believe me, I will!" I growl, and after donning it I eye myself in the mirror, feeling more depressed by the minute. I look a real state, my hair's a mess, and this outfit's uncomfortable! How can whoever it is wear this thing?
"Ready?"
"I'm not going out in this!"
"It's just the once, now come on..."
Grumbling to myself I storm outside, not bothering to pose or hide my fury as the camera clicks. I'll get him for this, mark my words.

Oh come on, what did you expect? She's an alien! I couldn't pass this up! She doesn't look very happy about the outfit I picked though... oh well.
No sooner have I been given the all clear than I go racing back inside, tearing the itching outfit off me.
"Can I have my face back now?" I hint as I plop back down into the chair.
I shake my head in mild amusement as I watch. I don't know why she lays it on so thick, she looks fine without it. I really should tell her that too... but what would she think? She's angry enough at me as it is, I don't want to push my luck any further than I have already.
"You want your curls back?" the make-up lady offers.
"Bit late for that," I scowl in my reply, but then as I study the vaguely straight, unruly mess I get hit by an idea. "Hey, got any straightening irons handy?"
"Sure," comes the reply.

The mini-studio packs up and leaves, and we get briefed on our first major task. We have $15,000 between us to furnish our living quarters. I frown as I look about me - all there is already is a small kitchen area and a tiny bathroom. Everywhere else is empty - with us both being students we'll need to make room for a computer, a desk... we've been told we have to stay away from class and study at home. This will be tough, but if it means I leave here being able to talk to people without feeling as bad as I did earlier I'm all for it.

Woo-hoo! Money! This is more like it! Can't wait to do some shopping!

Well, here we are. Right, where's the furniture section... oh hello, what's she found?
"Wow, get this table!" I grin, my hands rubbing together in glee.
"Whooaa, hold on a minute lady..."

I pull her aside as I try my best to explain we're on a tight budget.
"A what?" I ask.
"You're a student and you don't know how to budget?" I check in disbelief.
"Hey, we all got loaded up with scholarships before we came," I beam in reply, but trail off as he slowly shakes his head.
This girl needs some serious lessons. Taking it slowly, I try my best to explain the situation we're in and that we need to go easy with what we've been given.

"Like this, for example," I continue as my eyes spot a sofa behind her.
"It's ugly!" I complain.
"It's cheap," I remind her.

"I don't do cheap, I do style!" I retort, but his head turns slowly towards me in reply with a raised eyebrow. "I know I know, we're on this "budget" thing... Ooh, that's nice!" I finish as I spot something out of the corner of my eye.
Oh boy. Don't get me wrong, she's a nice enough girl, but it's as much as I can do right now to maintain patience. Still, it's early days...
"We had this kind of desk at the halls!" I grin broadly as I walk up to it.

"That I can believe," I agree, although at the back of my mind I wonder if we can afford it. Maths isn't my best subject, but at least I can be careful with my money, unlike some... That'll have to be the first thing I work on with her, she'll get nowhere in life carrying on like that.

I leave the store with mixed feelings. Some things we picked up I'm happy with, although the amount of cheapo ugly things he got make me cringe. I don't know how long I'll be able to face those objects in our place, but at least I was able to get some posters to liven up the place a little. They'll go just fine alongside his Star Wars posters too... maybe this won't be so bad after all.

No comments: