Home | Xenophobia: Part One | Xenophobia: Part Two | Xenophobia: Part Three | Fish Out Of Water | LiveJournal Blog

Introduction

Description (from contest): Once upon a time, there was a group attractive women who got by on their appearances, and a group intelligent men with limited social skills, who will live in a house together, learning from each others' weaknesses and strengths. By the end of their journey, these diverse men and women will have received lessons in confidence, equality, and dignity. No longer will they just the Beauty and the Geek....

Rating: Normal
Eliminations:
Yes
Result: Fifth

Extra notes: While competing in Engaged & Underage, this one took my fancy. After all the heavy entries I was hoping for some light relief, but I seem to turn everything serious at some point...

Wednesday 18 June 2008

Round Two

This is when I started messing about with the skins... I tried a different set of normal defaults before my Pixie phase.

*****

Eddie's Makeover

The week passed without too much trouble. Luckily I was able to stay in touch with my friends, only because they were given the number to the loft we're staying in though as the producers took my mobile! *sniff* Oh well. Eddie's been so sweet; he slipped out to Uni once and brought back this whole collection of leaflets. We spent the whole afternoon poring over them as he helped me choose a course! I couldn't believe it... and he's even been helping me with my assignments! He's so sweet... ahem. Must remember I have a boyfriend at home...

I'd almost forgotten our very early clash over the makeover until we get contacted by someone from the team early into the next week. One of them turns up on our doorstep with a bundle of notes, explaining I get to make him over! Hahaha... ooh, this'll be good! I know just the thing too... I'm gonna enjoy this!

Oh I see. I got to make her over last week, now it's her turn to repay the favour... Huh?? Oh heavens! Eyeing her nails warily I then look back at my own with a sense of foreboding...

“Just remember, nail varnish is for girls!” I remind her, but to my dismay she shakes her head and recites a list of male names.

I count on my fingers as I roll off a list of guys I either know or know of, that dress dark and wear black nail paint, and can't help but bask in the mounting horror I can pick up from him, especially when he next speaks.

I sigh in resignation at her reply, but memories of students in my old town strike terror into my heart as they drift through my mind. “Make-up's only for girls!” I tell her sternly.

All I do in reply is raise an eyebrow as I tell him “Maybe” with a sly smile. To be honest I couldn't agree more; I can't stand make-up on guys, but he doesn't need to know that just yet... Evil? Well - said I'd get him back didn't I?! I'm already enjoying this and we haven't even started yet!
“Come on, let's go,” I beckon, “I know just the place.”

A whimper escapes my throat as I trudge along behind. That's going to be my single biggest fear for the rest of the day; it's enough that I'll look ready to embrace the Dark Side by the time she's finished with me. I can see it now - just add some yellow contact lenses and a hooded black cloak, and I'll look like Annakin Skywalker in Revenge of the Sith after he slaughtered those younglings. I won't fall as easily as he did, mark my words!

“Oh come on, it's only on the outside!” I groan at him as we browse the store. In fact this brings back memories; Karl asked me to help him out for his Dad's stag night after hearing of the theme, but he refused to go for the clothes I suggested. A smile plays upon my face as I find myself here again, only this time I'm not with Karl. Eddie has to go with whatever I suggest, and that alone gives me an added kick.

I knew it. Everywhere I look there's black, leather, spikes... there's even cloaks! Good Lord... okay Eddie, just remember it's feelings that send you down the dark path; hate, anger... I'm not going there for real, it's just cosmetic... I only hope whoever it is leaves my face alone!

Ooh, perfect! Let's see if they do his size... hold on, what is his size? Oh never mind, I'll get it from him in a bit. This will go on him a treat!
“What on Earth is that?” I splutter as I stare at her choice of clothes.
“Oh come on... I've seen this on guys before, they look so hot in them!”
Suddenly my eyes catch sight of something red. Despite myself I can't help but investigate, and something pulls me to the outfit as the material glides through my fingers.
“Oh yeah!” I grin as he pulls out the shirt, “Now you're getting it!”

Mm-mm!! Wow, I wasn't kidding! Just a few extra touches needed, but he already looks good enough to eat!

You know... talking about dressing for comfort – this is pretty comfy! I'm not used to the feel of the material, but it's not bad either... I could get used to this! Somehow I don't think a black robe would be that fitting any more...

Right, next stop beauty parlour... with a difference.
Good grief!! I hope I won't be spending too long in here... I wish I could hear what she's saying to the waiting... tattooist? Oh please, I have to draw the line at tattoos!

“You with me?” I finish.
“I know just the thing,” the woman smiles in reply, before beckoning to Eddie who, for some reason now looks worried! “Come on, this won't hurt a bit.”
It had better not. If I so much as catch a glimpse of a tattoo needle I'll be out of here faster than you can say “May the Force be with you.”

Phew... is it getting hot in here, or is it just me?! That jewellery I got him earlier looks good on him too! Oh yeah, he's gotta do the catwalk thing now. Hehe... I'm so looking forward to this – just looking at him now's enough for me to glow with pride!

No make-up! No tattoos either... phew! My nails don't look so bad either... I suppose there's a reason men dressing like this add the nail varnish, it does seem to complete the look. My ears are sore as anything though; I have to clean them twice a day with a mild salt-water solution for the next month. Still, I can't help but smile as I study the finished work, so to speak – I had no idea something as little as changing the way you dress could change your outlook on life. Where all this new confidence has come from I don't know, but I'm not complaining!


Tell you what, if only one thing's made this outing worthwhile it's seeing him now. He's almost like a different person already! Hmm... thinking about it, maybe I should go into that kind of business once I'm out of Uni? If I can do this to one guy, imagine doing it for a living... don't get me wrong, the traditional beauty parlour stuff doesn't interest me in the slightest. I'm talking make-over my style – yeah! Clothes store, piercing/tattooists and hairdressing all under one roof! That'd be cool! Hope it's not too late to change my major...

Phew, what a day! It's not over yet either...
“Hey come on, stop playing with your ears!” I tell him as his fingers creep to his lobes again, “You're meant to leave them alone, remember?”
“I can't help it, they're sore!” I complain.
“You'll make them worse if you fiddle with them,” I tell him, before I get struck by an idea. “Well, feeling ready to conquer the world yet?” I tease with a smile.
I chuckle at her question, before giving a modest shrug. “What have you got in mind?” I ask. Whatever it is can't be anywhere near as bad as what I'd pictured happening earlier...
“Well, since you're now dressed to kill how about putting it to some good use?”
“What do you mean?” I ask, now confused.
“I mean going out on the pull!” I grin, “You know, chatting up girls?” I suddenly check myself. “Unless you're gay of course...”
“No no, I'm straight,” I tell her in no uncertain terms. Interesting that she even bothered to check though.
With a Mum who swings both ways and now lives with his gay boyfriend, I had to make sure. Anyway, now that's out of the way I'll get back to the point.
“Okay, so, now you look the part it's time to act it too, don't you think?”
Oh, I get it... yikes! Let the training begin...
“Okay, first things first; no pick up lines! We can see right through them, they're a waste of time.”
“Pick up lines?” I check, before it clicks. “Oh, right. To be honest I've never really tried...”
I cock my head at him in mild surprise. “What, a cutie like you? Dear dear... okay, starting from scratch huh?”
Cutie? She thinks I'm cute? Hehe... I don't know what to think of that one...
“Oh, that's another thing,” I mention, “Be honest in your approach. If you think a girl looks nice, tell her. No hiding behind Star Wars scripts – no one talks like that.”
“Okay...” I reply, suddenly feeling nervous. It's been at the back of my mind all week to tell her she doesn't need make-up, but I've been too wary of what she might say. Maybe I can try this for practise?
“What is it?” I ask, frowning as I sense he wants to say something.
“Well...” I begin, “I get too worried about what they'd think if I said the wrong thing...”
I smile knowingly as I tell him “Hey, if it's a compliment you've got nothing to worry about!”
“What constitutes a compliment?” I check.
“What what...?” I ask.
“Constitute – what makes a compliment? What would you say would be like that?”
“Oh!” I smile. There's my big word for today! Ahem... “Well, if it sounds like the kind of thing you'd want to hear, chances are she'll like it. You know, like “You have pretty eyes,” or “I love your smile”. Be honest though, focus on what you do like. If you don't like her eyes don't say you do.” I then gesture broadly with my hands. “Hey, you can try it on me before we get out for real.”
I swallow nervously at the offer. “Okay,” I begin, chewing anxiously at my lip.

“Well... you know when I had to make you over, and you had to take off your make-up?”
I raise an eyebrow as I nod, allowing him to finish.
“I thought you looked better without it,” I eventually tell her.
That does surprise me. “Better?” I echo, to which he nods. “Wow... I've never heard that one before.” It's the truth too; not even Karl's seen me without my slap. We haven't got that far yet, and as for when I was still with Mum, I was always fully dressed before I came down the stairs. Whether anyone else would say the same I don't know, but suddenly I feel unsure of myself. This may sound awful, but I'm starting to wonder what I see in Karl – don't get me wrong, he's a lovely guy, just... I don't know, too silly I suppose. Eddie's more down to Earth like me... Urgh. Come on Emmy, stop it! You're meant to be training him to meet other girls, remember?

Well, that went better than I'd hoped. In fact I'm starting to wonder how much of her tough outer shell is an act. What is she really hiding underneath? I'm getting the feeling she's not as confident as she makes out – does she rely on make-up to make her feel better? I know she feels inadequate academically... still, that's what she's here for.

It's now I realise why we're allowed to stay in touch with our friends. After getting a call from one of my female friends, an idea hits me.
“Hey, how do you fancy coming over tonight?” I offer, “I'm trying to get Eddie to meet some girls... he looks to die for too! You'd like him, he's really nice...”
On getting a yes back I grin excitedly as the talk ends and I hang up. Rubbing my hands with glee, I rush over to him and tell him the news.
Wow, so soon? Better get ready I suppose... oh yes. Stay away from the DVDs. Must remember that.

While we wait I decide to get us in the mood with some music. Eddie's been in the bathroom ages; I hope he doesn't stay there all night.
Be strong young Padawan... feel the Force.
“Eddie?” I check, knocking on the door.
“Huh? Oh...” I open the door to be greeted with her huge sparkling black eyes.
“Are you alright? You've been in there ages!”
“Yes,” I smile awkwardly, “I'm just nervous.”
“I know what you need,” I smile as I pull him out of the broom closet we have for a bathroom, “Time for some dancing lessons!”
“I don't...” I start, but she doesn't listen.
“It'll loosen you up!” I tell him, “Come on, relax!”

He learns fast! Just in time too, he seems to be relaxed enough by the time the bell rings.
Oh boy. I can't help but feel I'll make an idiot of myself... my heart's working ten to the dozen, and it's not because of the slight exertion through dancing.
My friends Gwen, Louise and erm... niece, I think it is, called Denise travel up in the lift with me, and I use the time to explain what they'll all face. I just hope he hasn't locked himself in the bathroom again. Oh, no, he's just sat on the couch. Right Mr. Grant, time to work your magic!
Emilia introduces me to her friends, among them another alien! Her niece, she said... I'll have to meet the man who started it all one of these days, this all has me so curious. This Gwen though... she's beautiful! ... ah, right, now what was it she said, be honest? Feel the Force... I know she doesn't like me going on the movies too much, but thankfully that one she agrees with. But where do I start? “Pleased to meet you all,” I smile, valiantly fighting the habit of going into myself. Instead, as the others disperse I seize perhaps the only chance I'll get. “You're beautiful,” I find myself saying.

I stare in amazement as he starts chatting to Gwen, looking like he's taken my advice. Gwen is a beauty herself, but unlike me she's also got the brains to back it up. I'm starting to feel inadequate again, and even a twinge of jealousy. Why I don't know since I'm meant to have a boyfriend...
“Wow!” Louise remarks as she and Denise follow my gaze, “Has she pulled?”
Casting my feelings aside, I cock my head a little as a smile plays upon my lips. “It would seem so,” I reply, my smile growing wider as again I glow with pride. “Well done you!” I tell him from afar.

No comments: