Home | Xenophobia: Part One | Xenophobia: Part Two | Xenophobia: Part Three | Fish Out Of Water | LiveJournal Blog

Introduction

Description (from contest): Once upon a time, there was a group attractive women who got by on their appearances, and a group intelligent men with limited social skills, who will live in a house together, learning from each others' weaknesses and strengths. By the end of their journey, these diverse men and women will have received lessons in confidence, equality, and dignity. No longer will they just the Beauty and the Geek....

Rating: Normal
Eliminations:
Yes
Result: Fifth

Extra notes: While competing in Engaged & Underage, this one took my fancy. After all the heavy entries I was hoping for some light relief, but I seem to turn everything serious at some point...

Wednesday 18 June 2008

Special Tasks 1 & 2

A New Beginning

Ah, week three. What a funny week it's been too, and not just in a good way. I don't know how long Karl's been having doubts, but towards the start of the week he calls... to end it between us.


He says he's been thinking about things, and that maybe we're just not suited. I don't know... Perhaps it's just as well given how I've been feeling about Eddie lately, but that doesn't change the blow I now have to my confidence levels. I need to get out of here for a while...

Oh dear... As she heads for the lift, I'm left alone to ponder my findings and mull over my own feelings about the situation.


She says it was him who put her forward for this show. She kept making quips about him doing it to get her out of the way, but I'm sure his intentions were good. What interests me is, why make jokes like that? Was she echoing her own thoughts? He may even have felt threatened, or that she's better off with someone else...

Yes, I'm well aware of where this is going. To be honest that's why I didn't show that interest in Gwen; looks aren't everything. She just isn't my type I suppose... Emilia wouldn't be either if I couldn't tell she was hiding something. Nothing bad, quite the opposite in fact; her bravado could put off a lot of people, which is a shame because underneath it all is a lovely person. She gave me confidence too, helped me in all sorts of ways, and now especially I feel I need to show my appreciation somehow. With what I don't know...

Yes I do. I would have been taking a chance with it before, but I can certainly do it now. Not all tokens of appreciation carry a price tag after all.


What usually eases a low moment is a trip round the shops, but as I browse nothing really catches my eye. My thoughts drift from Karl to Eddie, and my mindset changes as I continue to walk the aisles. He's been so nice, he's helped me find a direction in life... I need to get him a thank-you gift of some kind. Like what though? Nothing really stands out in here.

My absent-minded wanderings take me down the skincare aisle, and for some strange reason something finally catches my attention. Yes, that will be perfect. Smiling to myself I pluck the item from the shelf and head purposefully for the checkout.

Ah, she's back – I was expecting her to come home weighed down by shopping bags though, yet she takes something small from her handbag and makes a beeline for the bathroom. Something tells me she's going there for a reason, too...


I stare into the mirror, studying the painted features looking back at me. As I do, I start to realise just what a bitch I've been, and I even look the part. Why? I don't even know myself. I suppose it's a good way to ward off the wrong kind of attention, but I'm scaring away the nice people too... people like Karl.


Why do I do this to myself? Why did it take being holed up with a stranger for me to realise what I've been doing all this time? I guess seeing Eddie struggle opened my eyes; not everyone is born confident, I know that from Mum and his boyfriend. In fact I'm sure that's where I get it from - I remember him saying it took someone else to bring him out. Now history seems to be repeating itself. Looking down at the make-up removing pads in my hand, I know it's not just for Eddie I'm doing this. The hard-faced cow staring back at me has got to go, and I'm sure she won't be missed.


I guess he's right – I don't need make-up after all.

Finally, she's out... What's this?
“Hi,” I greet, smiling awkwardly at him. Who'd have thought make-up could change the way you act?
“I thought you couldn't live without it?” I check.
“Well, I thought about what you said,” I tell him, “About not needing make-up... I felt I owed it to you, you've been so nice...”
“Don't do it unless you want it yourself,” I tell her.
“That's another reason why I did it,” I reassure him, feeling my eyes sting.
This does surprise me a great deal. It seems removing all those cosmetics has also peeled away that hard outer layer of hers... at long last. Smiling softly in reply, I brush away a stray tear from her face, hoping for her sake this will be the start of a new life for her.


In fact this all reminds me of what I'd been thinking earlier.
“I wanted to say thanks too,” I tell her, “for bringing me out, making it easier for me to get along with people... it may be in bad taste after that phone call earlier, but...”

I smile knowingly at him. “Be honest, remember?” I say to him, although it seems he doesn't need reminding. What does surprise me is his idea of a thank-you gift...

Ever believe in fate? It's times like this I do.

No comments: